Sunday, March 6, 2011

Concerto by Sandra Miller

Rating: 8 out of 10
Pages: 281
First Line: “The dream was always the same.”
Summary: Everything was going for Chrispen. She was fresh out of Julliard and is now the assistant concertmaster at the Newton Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra under her idol, Alexis Brooks. Then she starts getting creepy messages from a violent stalker. The police can’t seem to help her other than telling her to stay away from Alexis, who was accused, but not proven to be the murderer of his first wife. She must guard herself and her friends from the stalker while solving the mystery behind the murder. The farther she finds herself in this mess the more it seems that these two problems are closely related and that history may be repeating itself. And if it is, then Chrispen is in the same situation as Madeleine, Alexis’ late wife.
Review: To tell you the truth, I was not expecting such a good storyline and characters from this book. I won it online and I had entered the giveaway because the cover looked interesting (yes, I do judge books by their covers, but I’ll discuss that another time). Yet when I received the book, the synopsis on the back cover did not promise much. After finally starting the book, I read it in a few hours I was so engrossed. I had not been prepared for the raw emotion I encountered so quickly in the book.
It had a very good plot with a few twists that added a lot to the mystery. I thought it was well planned out and was intricate enough to remain interesting. The duel conflicts kept me guessing and eliminated many of the lulls you might find in a book with a single struggle.
My trouble with the story was the predictability of the culprit(s) of the crimes. Maybe I have read so many mysteries (especially Nancy Drew novels) that I am extremely perceptive with these sorts of things, but I doubt it. Almost immediately after the background details and introductions I knew who killed Madeleine and who the stalker was. Luckily there were enough other tidbits and unfinished pieces I kept reading to see how everything played out. But when I got to the end of the book I found that I had been exactly right on both accounts.
*SPOILER ALERT* Also, I thought the bit about Madeleine the violin could have been better explained and that it kind of came out of nowhere. I understand that it was Chris’ grandmother’s violin and I liked how that came back up, but why did Dwight have it? Did he see Madeleine’s name on it in the window of a pawn shop? Furthermore why did he buy it? Was he that obsessed with Madeleine to such an extent that he bought a violin for the singular reason that her name was inscribed on it? I would be a bit more satisfied if these questions were somehow answered in the epilogue.
Overall, this novel was a very exciting and partially nerve-racking mystery. I was happily surprised with the development the relationship between Alexis and Chrispen. I appreciated how Ms. Miller described music and how it affected Chrispen. The story was entrancing and it kept me on edge, yet there was enough comic relief that I wasn’t stressed out by the intensity of it all.
Recommended: Yes, especially to those who are interested in music, though you do not need to know your way around classical music if you want to read this.
Similar: Blue is for Nightmares, White is for Magic, Silver is for Secrets, Red is for Remembrance by Laurie Faria Stolarz

No comments:

Post a Comment