Friday, April 29, 2011

Their Eyes Were Watching God: Scrutinized

Object of Exmination: Their Eyes Were Watching God
Written by: Zora Neale Hurston
Pages: 240
First line: Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board.
Rating out of 10: 8
Synopsis: Goodreads
Review: Overall I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I found the plot to be interesting and the twists in the story were unsuspected and realistic. The action scenes were a little hard to follow--the sentences were too long and too flowery. In some cases, Mrs. Hurston did not describe a few vital details. I loved the language and the imagery and symbols. The writing would lure me into a trance and I would just keep on reading. I grew to enjoy the cultural factor that the phonetic dialogue added. The symbols added so much meaning and reverance to the story and brought out some of the hidden conflicts. While the characters were well-developed and easy to relate to, Janie was a little annoying at times with her inner conflicts and how she couldn't decide what she wanted. Readers would be more sympathetic if Janie was not so hypocritical at the beginning and gathered up her strength more quickly. I really liked this book and recommend it to anyone who likes romances, historical fiction, or gorgeous writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment